Monday, June 29, 2009

Listening to the Rhythm

I am not one to listen very closely. I try really hard to listen when someone is talking to me; especially if she is trying to figure something out, get something corrected, or explain what she needs. But honestly, I don't think that I have been listening well at all.

Next week, I have decided to take an entire week of vacation. Now that I have committed to actually doing this by asking permission from my manager and having it printed on the monthly work calendar, I realized that my soul has been asking for a vacation for some time now.

The rhythm of life changes so quickly, doesn't it? I can be coasting along just fine, keeping the wolf from the door, and not really listening to anything my body, soul or spirit is saying to me.

Hug your child. Forgive your husband. Appreciate your body. Get up off your ass and clean this house. How many of these things do you think I really respond to? Truthfully, not any! I want to be a better person, wife, sister, daughter, mother, insurance agent, friend, and human being, but in order to do that, I have to begin with myself. How can we listen to someone else when our own voice is not being heard?

So I am going to focus this next couple of weeks, while getting ready for a week off and then actually being on vacation for that week, to listen to my spirit. Listen to my inner voice--even when it's bitching. Listen, and truly hear what is being said. I think that will make all the difference in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment