Monday, August 18, 2014

A Little History of Shellgirl!

So I thought I'd start today by telling you a little bit about me!

I was born June 7, 1966 in Sherman TX. My Dad and Mom lived there where my Dad was training race horses for a man named Shelly Shellenberger. That's where they got my name.

We moved to Bryan when I was about five years old. I started first grade at Ben Milam Elementary, then when we moved out to Steep Hollow, I transferred to Travis. When I was in school, Bryan was just beginning to integrate the public school system, so we were bussed to different schools in town every few years.

What a bathing suit beauty! I wasn't quite five in this photo... I think it was taken while we still lived in Dallas.


When I was in the fifth grade, we were taken into the gym where the PE teachers weighed us, measured our height, and recorded our numbers for all the school to hear and see. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I can't remember what I weighed or how tall I was. All I can remember is the cute little blonde haired girl that I wanted to be friends with saying, "Why do you weigh so much? You need to go on a diet!" And that was the beginning of my body image issues!


This was from my birthday when I was in the fifth grade...


I wish we could create a world where little girls didn't compare themselves to others, but I don't know if we'll ever be successful at that. What I do know is that I can remember that one comment made by a classmate over all of the positive, fun and uplifting things that were said to me by friends, teachers, and family members. Oh, and that Mr. Bond made me square dance with a boy who had a wart on his palm... EWWWWWWWWW!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment