Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Adventures in Dog Rescue



One of the craziest and most rewarding things I've ever gotten involved in has been dog rescue. It all started when my sister in law sent me a message asking if I knew of anyone who had purebred Australian Cattle Dog puppies for sale. My sister in law and I share a love of heelers, so I quickly started searching online! The first listing was for Texas Cattle Dog Rescue on Facebook. I clicked Like and started lurking on the page for about a week. I looked over their website and imagined what it would be like to be a foster home for rescued cattle dogs.

I know that I probably procrastinated for a week before I sent in my application as a foster, because that's just what I do! Then I didn't hear a word and figured that they ran a background check on me and said NO WAY JOSE!! I don't know why, but I always have a guilty conscience about such things!

Finally one evening after work, I got a phone call from the Foster Coordinator; a very nice guy who basically chatted with me for about thirty minutes about his own dogs and what I would need to know about fostering. I did not hear from him for another week, so in my newfound searches of all things cattle dogs/heelers, I found that there was a barely red male in a Texas shelter who had a freaked out expression on his face. I knew this guy would be put to sleep any day--he just did not look like he was going to be okay for long in that shelter. So I texted my new rescue friend and said, "Hey, I want to pull this dog. I want to adopt him but I don't know what to do. Can you help me?" And the rest is history!

The first year I fostered for TCDR, I probably fostered about 8 dogs. I found that I enjoyed meeting with potential adopters and sharing with them what I had discovered about my foster dog. I did a lot of driving because I felt weird having people drive all the way to my house which is in the middle of nowhere.

Each year that I have worked with TCDR has been a true blessing in my life! I have awesome rescue friends that I never would have met anywhere else! I have cried some tears over my foster dogs, both when letting them go and also when tragically, I had to take one to be put to sleep. I am now involved with TCDR as the Foster Coordinator. I am also on the Board of Directors and I am active in working on the newsletter and Field Day events.

My family doesn't always understand why on earth I would volunteer so much time and effort into rescuing dogs. But just being able to see that dog get a great forever home is worth all of the driving, all of the late night emails, all of the Facebook posts... It is truly one thing I know God created me for! Sometimes I get overwhelmed. I often overcommit myself. But all it takes is to get a message or an email about a dog in need and I'm right back into full speed rescue mode!

I'm a crazy dog lady. And it's an awesome adventure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment